The moment

When CNN called Virginia, I knew it was really, well and truly over. At that moment, I was sitting next to my friend and colleague Kevin in the bar of a Marriott hotel in Brussels. We were being interviewed by a radio journalist. Kevin was speaking. I suddenly saw Virginia called for Obama on the tv and let out some sort of animal shout. Then Kevin joined in. The whole bar was cheering, but not yet aware of the significance of victory in that particular state. Having been optimistic all night, it was only at that moment that I was suddenly able to give vent to a real sense of joy. A little while later - minutes, I think, but it's a bit of a blur - we saw they called the race for Obama . At that point it was pandemonium. I was standing on a seat pounding the ceiling. The whole time, the radio guy had his mic live, and other tv and radio crews were recording the jubilation, which went on for a good fifteen minutes before abating. There were quite a few Americans there, but many Europeans and some Africans as well - a group of Congolese girls were singing.

Popular Posts