Open Letter to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC)

Yesterday - Monday, July 28th - I received nine urgent emails from the DCCC freaking out about John Boehner's plan to sue President Obama and the possibility that the House may move to impeach.  The general tone of these emails was not just urgent but hysterical.  One, purporting to be from Nancy Pelosi, had the subject line "kiss all hope goodbye".  Seriously?  All hope?

Of course, these emails were not just informative; each one asked - "pleaded" - for a donation.

You know very well that this GOP lawsuit/impeachment stunt is a farce and that it poses no actual threat to the president.  You are using a fake crisis to scare good-faith supporters of the president and the Democratic party into giving you money.  You are pretending that the situation is dire purely in order to fool your own loyal supporters into giving you money.  That is both contemptuous and contemptible.

And now, today, I've received three more "urgent" emails (as of this writing - it's not even noon yet) demanding money.  One of them actually pointed out that I didn't donate on Monday.  Your entire aggressive, intrusive, haranguing approach seems to be based on the assumption that you are somehow entitled to my money as well as my support.

You falsely declare that there's a major emergency and that the nation's future is at stake, and then use this lie as a basis to effectively accuse me of complacency and shame me into writing you a check.  Your approach is obnoxious and disrespectful in every way.  The almost total contempt that you display towards your own constituents, not to mention the truth itself, is breathtaking.  In an even slightly less cynical political culture, it would be shocking.

I have no doubt that yours is an effective fundraising strategy.  Indeed, that has been proved by the record number of "grass roots" donations you received on Monday.  And I'm sure you've carefully considered all the angles and calculated the various costs and benefits of your approach, including the minor cost of alienating a few cranks such as myself.  What's more, I'm not hopeful that anyone who can cheerfully participate in such cynical and manipulative tactics would be inclined to take my remarks very seriously.  Nevertheless, I'm writing this, if only to enter an objection into the public record and to call on the leadership of the Democratic Party to stop treating Democratic supporters as dupes and idiots.

I vote in every election.  I've never voted for a Republican in my life, and I'm certainly not going to do so this time around.  But I'll be damned if I'm going to give you as much as a nickel until you start treating Democratic citizens with a modicum of respect - or at least as something other than easy marks for a shabby short-con.  In this respect, you're exactly as bad as the GOP.

JP Bernbach


(NB: this post has been updated from its original form to include the exact content of the letter I ultimately sent to the DCCC)

Popular Posts